Our story so far...
The church community was founded in 1802 by John Aikman, and in 1861 moved from its ‘dark, dingy, comfortless’ first home (sold to make way for the Museum in Chambers Street) into the present building, expressing by its architecture the imaginative, forward-looking, unconventional spirit well suited to the congregation’s independent principles.
The Church has changed with the times. Unions with a number of congregations have led to several changes of name and to a constantly revitalised congregation. In 1941 Augustine united with Brighton Street EU (Evangelical Union) to become Augustine-Bristo. In 1979 Augustine-Bristo united with Hope Park & Buccleuch EU to become Augustine Congregational Church. In 1992 Augustine united with Dalkeith Road URC (United Reform Church) to become Augustine United Congregational & URC. In 2000 the whole Scottish Congregational Church united with the United Reformed Church. In 2005 Augustine URC united with Dalry URC and became Augustine United Church, a member of the United Reformed Church. In 2009 the Metropolitan Community Church of Edinburgh merged into AUC.
Historic Scotland/Heritage Lottery Funded Restoration
Many alterations have been made to the building, including glazing the doors, extending the foyer and removing the pews and pulpit to create a more flexible, open area suitable for worship, public meetings and concerts. With generous grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland and the Scotland's Churches Trust, and the remainder being raised from within the congregation, the exterior of the building, including the tower was renovated in 2002-05 and the building made fully accessible.
With further support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Environment Scotland and Allchurches Trust Ltd, we have now been successful in implementing further plans for a new and exciting heritage project. The project has re-slated the roof of the building, adding a layer of insulation to assist with energy conservation and allowed us to upgrade the audio visual facilities inside the church itself. The project has also provided enhanced visitor information, promoting the church’s architectural, cultural and theological heritage to a wider audience, including the many thousands of annual building users.
Supported by a new, permanent exhibition, audio visual and print resources, we have trained volunteers as guides in order to offer people more detailed and informed tours of the building. We are telling the evolving story of the congregation, the building and the surrounding culture of the Old Town, from its beginnings in the early 19th century to today.
The Church on the Bridge
Our 2016 history brings together in accessible form the story of our congregation. It draws upon (and brings up to date) the work of earlier members of our congregation who have recorded our history across the years. It also attempts to place the story of Augustine within its social context. It has been important to us to explore how our heritage has both affected and been affected by changes in Edinburgh’s physical and social development.
We have divided our history, 'Augustine United Church: The Church on the Bridge', into eight sections. See the related documents section to the right of the screen.
Hire a room
AUC has a number of rooms available for rent on a sessional basis, morning, after-noon or evening.
Find out what events and activities are taking place over the coming weeks.
Find out how you can play a part in your community.